Tuesday 11 January 2011

Asian Steamed Trout (serves 1)



When I eat alone, I often take the opportunity to indulge the a culinary treat of fish! Orlando isn't so keen, so we don't cook it together much (with the exception of fish pie of course!). Plus, its always good to top up on the old omega oils. This dish is another addition to our ever expanding Asian repertoire. I know wanky TV chefs say what I'm about to say next all the time, but this really could not be simpler to make.

Ingredients
-   1 whole trout
-   1 red bird's chilli, sliced
-   2/3 garlic cloves, sliced
-   1 shallot, sliced (or an onion is fine)
-   1 lime, sliced
-   roughly 2cm square piece of galangal, cut into julienne (or ginger if you don't have it)
-   a generous bunch of coriander
-   sea salt

Preparation
-    Place the trout on a piece of tin foil that is at least double it's length.
-   Take all the other ingredients and stuff under, on top of and inside the fish.

-   Fold the foil in half so the trout is completely covered, then fold over all of the open edges at least twice to seal the fish in. Lift up the edges once they're crimped to stop any juices escaping.



-   Put on a baking tray & cook for about 20mins in a 200C oven.
-   Tear open the bag & serve with steamed jasmine rice, making sure to pour the limey, fishy juices all over the rice.

1 comment:

  1. If I liked picking bones out of fish I would eat this, as I do love trout but only in fillets... I guess the recipe could be tweaked? :-)

    ReplyDelete